The Senior Director, People Relations is a critical leader who will have the opportunity to help shape our organizational culture and future success. We are seeking an equity-focused leader committed to continuous improvement, with a vision for and experience in recruiting, developing, and retaining a skilled, diverse, and inclusive workforce, representative of the communities we serve.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Senior Director, People Relations will lead the organization’s people-centered processes and protocols and the physical and virtual structures that support work across the agency. The Senior Director, People Relations will work in partnership with the Executive Team to manage Human Resources department that is the foundation of the organizational infrastructure and support optimal program operations. This role is equal parts strategy and implementation.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
People Relations & Strategy
- Provide strategic partnership as a member of OBT’s Executive Leadership team to assess organizational health, develop our organizational growth plan, and ensure ongoing capacity building across all levels of the organization.
- Design strategies and cultivate partnerships to ensure hiring and development of a diverse workforce that reflects the communities OBT serves.
- Collaborate with the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) & Chief Program Officer (CPO) to support Program and Site Directors in organizing teams to thrive in a new blended environment of in-person and remote working and learning.
Recruitment & Onboarding:
- Cultivate and maintain partnerships with local and regional organizations, networks and higher education institutions that can support the creation of talent pipelines reflective of the communities that OBT serves.
- Implement an employee recruitment and hiring process that is inclusive of relevant stakeholders in the organization; maximizes external relationships, particularly with networks of traditionally underrepresented groups; and consistently works to reduce barriers in applying to and engaging in OBT’s hiring process.
- Partner with Program & Site Directors to facilitate thorough and streamlined hiring processes that include a variety of stakeholders representative of respective teams.
- In collaboration with the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) & Chief Program Officer (CPO), ensure alignment between candidate expertise and programmatic needs and/or requirements.
- In partnership with the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) & Chief Program Officer (CPO) and Supervisors, develop comprehensive onboarding plans across functional teams to ensure that new team members can effectively transition into their roles in the organization.
- In collaboration with the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) & Chief Program Officer (CPO), and in consultation with the President/CEO, craft an annual organizational plan for staff development at all levels.
- Oversight of a comprehensive performance management system, including
- Annual and interim reviews for staff.
- Provide direct support and coaching for supervisors in navigating performance conversations with staff.
- Develop a system formalizing recognition of staff accomplishments and milestones.
- Develop a framework to identify, assess, and develop internal talent through coaching, professional development, and leadership opportunities.
- Create and implement a plan to support organizational culture building by implementing regular team surveys, feedback systems, and individual team member performance.
- Support supervisors in managing and understanding performance data to implement professional development and related strategies.
- Lead the codification of OBT’s compensation structure and its connection to performance, including external benchmarking and oversight of its implementation across the organization.
- Plan and direct implementation and administration of employee benefits programs such as health insurance, life insurance, employee assistance program, tax sheltered annuity program and other plans.
- Evaluate and benchmark benefits services, coverage, and options available through insurance and investment companies to determine programs that best meet the needs of the organization. This includes negotiating and contracting with benefits plan providers, and vendors for services, premiums, and administration.
- Lead benchmarking, assessment, and recommendation of OBT’s benefits offerings to ensure competitiveness in the market.
- Manage annual open enrollment for health insurance and other benefits, COBRA notifications and enrollments with the Sr. Direct, Budgets & Contract.
Processes & Procedures:
- Manage OBT policies, including the Employee Handbook, including updating as required by law and/or organizational needs aligned with the mission and values of the organization, including:
- The ongoing work of enacting values and behaviors that espouse Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion.
- The shift to a blended organization consisting of remote and in-person programming.
- In collaboration with the Executive Leadership team, design and help coordinate organizational learning
- Ensure compliance and staff trainings are conducted according to best practices and as regulated by federal, state, and local law; this includes building organizational capacity to adapt to a blended environment and ensuring accessibility for staff and program participants.
- Oversight of ADP and maintaining communication and data-sharing with payroll processes.
- Supervision of the People Relations & Strategy Coordinator