Location: Remote to Onsite (Queens, NY)
Position Code: 98EE8
Mental Health Counselor
Location: Remote to Onsite (Queens, NY)
Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) exists to break the cycle of poverty and inequity through education, job training, and employment. OBT’s programs operate out of multiple locations and serve as a bridge to economic opportunity for youth, individuals, and families in underserved communities. Through various sector-based pathways, we offer programming that extends from high school equivalency programming to industry-certified training. OBT is funded through a mixture of government contracts, corporate and foundation grants, and private contributions.
The Mental Health Counselor (“Counselor”) provides ongoing individual and group counseling services to young adults ages 16 – 24 enrolled in OBT’s Medical Administrative Assistant and High School Equivalency course load programs. These programs are designed to prepare the participants to pass the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) and the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) exams, paving the way to successful careers. Additionally, the counselor will engage in community outreach to promote the programs, help the participants reach economic stability through advocacy, tenacious case management, and the facilitation of training workshops.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Exemplify the OBT model of high accountability and high support in all interactions with participants, all staff, and partners.
- Develop and conduct group counseling sessions addressing essential skills, including time management, managing stress, building self-esteem, effective listening, goal setting, teamwork, coping strategies, etc.
- Provide supportive counseling and crisis intervention to participants.
- Maintain participant case files and enter all data including but not limited to case notes and attendance into required databases (e.g., Salesforce and PTS); assist with any relevant reporting required by funder contracts.
- Provide ongoing feedback to the team on participant progress and barriers to successful completion of the programs.
- Conduct intake assessments with applicants to ensure both eligibility and suitability for the programs; follow-up with accepted participants regarding outstanding required documentation for enrollment into the programs; refer ineligible and/or incompatible applicants to other programs and services.
- Maintain consistent contact with current and past participants for the time period established by our contracts via calls, texts, emails, and social networking sites using established OBT protocols;
- Conduct, at a minimum, bi-weekly individual supportive counseling sessions with each assigned participant to ensure they are progressing toward personal and career related goals.
- Participate and seek professional development opportunities.
- Assist with community outreach and program promotional activities.
The Mental Health Counselor, Train & Earn Program at OBT is expected to have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Belief that workforce development and equity are inextricably linked and have a passionate commitment to OBT’s mission and vision.
- Experience working with opportunity youth.
- Working knowledge of workforce development.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and conflict de-escalation skills.
- Able to develop goals and reduce barriers to education, program persistence and employment through effective case management and counseling strategies.
- Able to manage competing priorities in a human-focused performance-based environment.
- Adept problem solver who brings energy and enthusiasm to the work.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; database management–i.e., Salesforce and/or PTS preferred.
Education and Experience
- Master’s in Social Work or Mental Health Counseling (candidates working toward graduate degree in social work or counseling may be considered).
- 2 years’ human services or social services experience.
Why You Should Join Us
- Salary is $50,000k + full competitive benefits
- We are a passionate and motivated staff excited to propel NYC’s young adult communities
- Growth orientated, entrepreneurial work environment that pairs high accountability with high support
To apply, first copy position code from desired position and enter when prompted.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at OBT, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.