Instructor, Tech Fundamentals
(Full-Time, Contract Position – 8 weeks)
Location: Remote (some onsite activities possible)
Position Code: VLYKG
Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) exists to break the cycle of poverty and inequity through education, job training, and employment. OBT’s programs operate out of multiple locations and serve as a bridge to economic opportunity for youth, individuals, and families in underserved communities. Through various sector-based pathways, we offer programming that extends from high school equivalency programming to industry-certified training. OBT is funded through a mixture of government contracts, corporate and foundation grants, and private contributions.
OBT’s new 4-week Tech Fundamentals Training Program, Bridge to Cloud will provide young adults interested in pursuing careers in the technology sector with foundational technical training, soft skills, and exposure to career pathways in the Tech, IT, and cloud computing sectors. This TechStart program aims to establish the conditions for participants to successfully transition into OBT’s intensive Cloud Support Engineer Training program.
The Instructor will provide 4-weeks of introductory level IT and Linux instruction to young adults who are starting their careers in tech. Under the supervision of the Program Director, the Instructor will be responsible for the developing the goals associated with a new program that supports opportunity youth ages 16-24. This position is ideal for a professional with exposure to the IT or tech sectors and experience facilitating tech-related content.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide 4-weeks of instruction to young adults interested in pursuing a career in Tech or IT
- Facilitate two, 2-hour instructional lessons per day (10:00 am-12:00 noon & 2:00 pm-4:00 pm), Monday through Friday, via Zoom
- Supplement existing curriculum with slides, demos, labs, activities and other learning materials in order to deliver lessons that are sector focused and build skills for further learning in the field
- Monitor participants’ progress in order to adjust curriculum and instructional methods as needed
- Provide individualized coaching and feedback based on participants’ learning needs
- Utilize performance data to ensure program benchmarks and outcomes are met
- Cultivate and leverage relationships within TechStart’s interdisciplinary team
- Participate in regular observation, feedback and coaching to improve performance
- Administer, grade, and provide timely feedback on assignments and progress reports
- Display mastery of the content and ability to teach to a young adult population who have little previous Tech or IT experience
- Tend to additional tasks as needed
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science or related field
- OR comparable certifications in Linux and IT Fundamentals
- OR 3 years of professional-level work experience in Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field
- At least 3 years of experience in providing work readiness and/or technical instruction (in some capacity)
- Credentials in Linux and IT fundamentals highly preferred
Why You Should Join Us
- Hourly rate: $40-$45/hour DOQE
- We are a passionate and motivated staff excited to propel NYC’s young adult communities
To apply, first copy position code from desired position and enter when prompted.