(revised) ELA and Social Studies Instructor
Location: Remote to Onsite (Brooklyn, NY)
Position Code: RDQ0B
Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) exists to break the cycle of poverty and inequity through education, job training, and employment. OBT’s programs operate out of multiple locations and serve as a bridge to economic opportunity for youth, individuals, and families in underserved communities. Through various sector-based pathways, we offer programming that extends from high school equivalency programming to industry-certified training. OBT is funded through a mixture of government contracts, corporate and foundation grants, and private contributions.
OBT is looking for an innovative, ELA and Social Studies Instructor in our Advance and Earn Program. Under the supervision of the Academics Coordinator, the ELA and Social Studies Instructor will be responsible for designing, implementing, and developing interactive lessons to support educational gain and/or TASC attainment. The instructor will work closely with the Academics Team to support the development of engaging, challenging, and impactful educational programming.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop interactive and intentional curriculum for pre-HSE and HSE students that seek to facilitate grade gain, NRS level gain and/or TASC readiness.
- Track, monitor and input data on all funder and internal databases on student and program milestones and outcomes.
- Utilize dynamic platforms to facilitate classes in the remote environment, when applicable.
- Facilitate meaningful and interactive classes onsite, when applicable.
- Employ strength-based, youth-centered approach to encourage high attendance and participation rates.
- Administer the TABE test.
- Work collaboratively with the Advance and Earn and Academics Team to ensure cohesive messaging and services to youth.
- Attend required program, team and agency meetings and events.
- Attend trainings and monitor trends on optimizing student learning.
- All other appropriate duties assigned by supervisor.
The ELA and Social Studies Instructor at OBT is expected to have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Belief that workforce development and equity are inextricably linked and have a commitment to OBT’s mission and vision.
- Possess a passion for working with Opportunity Youth.
- Ability to develop and facilitate intentional academic content.
- Ability to identify learning gaps and suggest changes.
- Ability to meet deadlines and enter data in a timely and accurate manner in internal and funder databases.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with key stakeholders, such as: participants; families; and colleagues.
- Ability to work effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Lead by example and model integrity.
Education and Experience
To be seriously considered for this role, please have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or a similar field.
- At least 2 years teaching experience.
- Background in English Language Arts and Social Studies instruction.
- Experience in curriculum development and design.
Why You Should Join Us
- Salary $45k – $48k (commensurate with qualifications and experience) + benefits that include medical/dental/vision plan, and 403(b)
- We are a passionate and motivated staff excited to propel NYC’s young adult communities
To apply, first copy position code from desired position and enter when prompted.