Location: Brooklyn, NY
Position Code: 843SW
As Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) celebrates its 35th Anniversary, we are looking for an energetic, committed and passionate Computer Instructor/Case Manager to work with youth between the ages of 16 and 24 in our Young Adult Internship Program (YAIP). The YAIP Program is a 14-week paid internship program for disconnected young adults, incorporates ongoing education, computer skills training, college preparation and employer support. Internships are provided in businesses that allow interns to build work experience and improve job skills. Upon completion of internships, interns are placed in permanent jobs, training programs or educational settings.
Who We Are and Where We Are Going:
OBT, a premier Workforce Development organization in NYC, is in the process of developing its next phase of growth, focused on expanding employment opportunities for our clients. Founded in 1983, we have established a proven track record as a strong community-based organization. We have assisted thousands of NYC opportunity youth and adults gain critical skills and obtain employment. As a leading Workforce Development training not-for-profit, OBT provides a training program that balances high accountability and high support, with the goal of developing self-sufficiency and providing access to quality career pathways. We are excited to continue to develop on our strong foundation and demonstrated success while meeting the challenges and opportunities of the modern workplace.
- Teach basic computer applications and office procedures skills to program participants;
- Provide daily instruction in Microsoft Office Suite and Customer Service;
- Create and submit for approval an effective curriculum with lesson plans that address such areas as: MS Word, EXCEL, PowerPoint, and basic computer applications; telephone skills, alphabetic and numeric indexing (filing), sorting mail, writing office memos, customer service skills, etc.;
- Provide curriculum training geared toward the passing the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) examination in Microsoft Office Suite and National Retail Federation (NRF) Customer Service certification;
- Update and augment the computer skills and office procedure curricula on a regular basis to ensure that the lessons are responsive to needs of the individual students and are relevant to today’s workplace, and to ensure that the lessons address a range of learner levels;
- Maintain the classroom and take responsibility for creating a classroom environment that reflects the goals of the curriculum and the overall program;
- Develop and implement effective testing mechanisms designed to measure program participants’ progress as it relates to computer and customer service skills training;
- Provide ongoing feedback on each program participant’s progress and report on such progress to other program staff and administration;
- Assist with outreach, recruitment, intake and assessment of eligible program applicants
- Maintain a database of referral sources; provide intervention on issues which may hinder successful program completion and develop individual strategies for resolution;
- Enter required case notes and other data into an internal database (Salesforce) and the DYCD database (YEPS) in a timely fashion;
- Provide follow-up services to registered program participants.
- Conduct worksite visits
- Participate in all program-wide activities as designated by the Program Director;
Bachelor’s degree required; must have relevant experience in teaching. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook); knowledge of workforce development is helpful; experience working with disconnected youth and coordinating youth programs. Knowledge of work with opportunity youth from a strength based perspective; ability to model and maintain a culture of high expectations and high support. Personal initiative and ability to problem solve required. Must possess excellent organizational and communication skills.
Why You Should Join Us:
- Competitive salary and full benefits
- Satisfying and team-oriented work environment
- Company events and outings (ongoing professional development; coaching, staff retreats)
- Passionate and motivated staff excited to propel NYC’s youth and adult communities
- Equal Opportunity Employer