Location: Brooklyn, NY
Position Code: JQULC
As Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) celebrates its 36th Anniversary, we are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic and organized Child Care Navigator to join our Bushwick team. The Child Care Navigator will play a critical role in engaging and supporting Opportunity Youth (17-24 years old) who are expecting a child or parenting in our Out of School Youth High School Equivalency Program.
Reporting to the Director of Youth Programs at our Bushwick location, the Child Care Navigator will have a range of responsibilities including but not limited to community outreach, developing/facilitating workshops, intensive case management and supportive counseling in an outcome and youth development oriented workforce program.
Who We Are and Where We Are Going:
OBT, a premier Workforce Development organization in NYC, is in the process of developing its next phase of growth, focused on expanding employment opportunities for our clients. Founded in 1983, we have established a proven track record as a strong community-based organization. We have assisted thousands of NYC opportunity youth and adults gain critical skills and obtain employment. As a leading Workforce Development training not-for-profit, OBT provides a training program that balances high accountability and high support, with the goal of developing self-sufficiency and providing access to quality career pathways. We are excited to continue to develop on our strong foundation and demonstrated success while meeting the challenges and opportunities of the modern workplace.
- Facilitating the process for young parents and their children to enroll in Administration for Children’s Services (ACS)-funded Early Care and Education child care slots as well as accessing other necessary social support services included but not limited to CBO partners and ACS preventative service agencies.
- Delivering evidence and strength-based coaching to young parents on parenting behaviors, child development, parent-child activities, the link between child development and parenting, developmental optics, family strengths capabilities, and skills, protective factors and resourcing. Such coaching will be grounded in trauma-informed practices.
- Conducting group workshops for parents to educate them about the enrollment process in ACS-funded center-based care.
- Meeting bi-weekly with parents at OBT.
- Preparing monthly and quarterly data and narrative reports for ACS and the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) related to program enrollment, attendance and milestones achieved.
- Entering case notes monitoring program progress into both the city’s database and OBT’s internal database (Salesforce)
- Collaborating with OBT program staff to provide an effective system of supports for each client both during programming and after program completion
- Participating in ACS training and working with ACS to overcome barriers to child care enrollment on behalf of parents. Additional trainings offered by ACS to better understand child safety, infant mental health, Safe Sleep and other appropriate trainings.
- Collaborating with ACS staff to facilitate enrollment and quality program implementation.
- Perform all other appropriate duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Experience working with young parents
- Experience facilitating group workshops
- Experience creating and maintaining strong working relationships with other organizations that can benefit OBT participants
- Culturally Competent practice and experience working with diverse populations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in social work, early childhood education or human services related field.
- Advanced knowledge of ACS center-based child care programs and TANF program and policies.
- Working knowledge of computer technology, including Microsoft Office, Excel, and data entry skills.
Why You Should Join Us:
- Competitive Salary and full benefits
- Fulfilling and collaborative relationships with internal and external networks
- Company events and outings (ongoing professional development; coaching, staff retreats)
- Passionate and motivated staff excited to propel NYC’s youth and adult communities
- Equal Opportunity Employer