Reporting to the President & Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) oversees the day-to-day operations of OBT and is responsible for Fiscal, Human Resources and Operational oversight across all OBT sites. As a key member of the executive leadership team, the COO must be a detail-oriented professional who can manage the financial and operational needs of the organization, work closely with auditors, and collaborate constructively with Board of Directors and Executive team.
- Provide counsel and support to the President & CEO and the Board of Directors on all financial matters and fiscal strategy
- Manage the Accounting and Operations team to ensure effective and efficient oversight of all financial operations.
- Manage and control expenses, income and oversee management of all accounts receivable/payable, payroll, billing and treasury functions including timely receipts and effective reporting.
- Development of a fiscal strategy to ensure the positive growth and stability of OBT’s fiscal affairs.
- Work collaboratively with the CEO and executive team to explore and manage long-range planning and development opportunities.
- Serve as lead liaison to Board of Directors’ Finance and Audit Committees and provide support to other committees as assigned.
- Oversee and manage any outsourced financial management and billing services
- Routinely assess our financial management system and implement changes as appropriate to maximize effectiveness and efficiency.
- Manage OBT’s financial audit process ensuring compliance with agency audit requests, respond to financial audit reports in a timely, effective, and efficient manner.
- Ensures timely completion of required annual audit and state charity reports.
- Ensure annual preparation of 1099 wage reports for all consultants conducting business with the organization
- Partner with CEO and other Executive staff to communicate with public and private funders, membership organizations, elected officials, and community leaders.
- Interact with government agencies and other funders, OBT staff and Board of Directors, particularly regarding contract/grant negotiations, billing, and audits, to ensure effective delivery of high-quality services in compliance with funding source mandates (federal, State, City and private).
- Represent OBT to leaders in the government, corporate, philanthropic, not-for-profit and community relations sectors.
- Exercise managerial responsibility for all accounting, financial systems, and compliance with city, state, and federal regulations
- Work collaboratively with the Executive team to prepare budget projections to ensure accurate annual operating budgets.
- Forecast, monitor and communicate regularly with stakeholders on budget challenges and coordinate budget modifications.
Organizational Strategic Leadership
- Develop, in collaboration with the CEO an annual operating plan that supports the Corporation’s long-term operations strategy
- Keep the CEO fully informed in a timely and candid manner of the conduct of the day-today operations of the Corporation towards the achievement of its established goals and of all material deviations from the goals or objectives and policies established by the Board
- With respect to operational matters, ensure communications, resolution of issues and project development
- Ensure the development of health and safety practices for the Corporation and oversee compliance with those practices
- Be available to brief the CEO on operational matters for review in advance of meetings of the Board
- Foster a corporate culture that promotes ethical practices, customer focus and service and encourages individual integrity
- Maintain a positive and ethical work climate that is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating a diverse group of top-quality employees at all levels
- Participate in OBT strategic planning by leading efforts on specified fiscal, operational, and human resource goals, and work collaboratively with senior and other staff to monitor and ensure progress toward Strategic Plan goal attainment.
- Works closely with the CEO and Board of Directors to inform and track overall organizations planning
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors and Executive leadership to keep OBT at the forefront of delivering high-quality services relevant to the communities we serve.
Human Resources and Operations
- Provide oversight of OBT Human Resources and Operations teams to ensure appropriate management of the organization’s contracts, purchasing, capital developments, and the departments
- Work with the teams to develop, implement and manage OBT’s Human Resources, operational plan/procedures and fiscal protocols in line with budgetary, strategic and financial best practices.
- Work collaboratively with the External Relations and Development teams on reports for funders.
- Offer guidance and participate in fundraising proposals and requests for support to corporations, foundations, individuals, and government entities.
- Provide sage leadership guidance and support on marketing and fundraising activities.
- Ensure oversight and stability of all Operational and Technology consultants at OBT locations from a risk management perspective to ensure the health, safety, and wellbeing of the OBT community.
- Management of maintenance and security contractors to ensure compliance
- Oversight of technology and IT support for all OBT staff