Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) is a 33-year old non-profit organization operating out of multiple locations. The mission of OBT is to help disadvantaged youth and adults recognize their own self-worth and advance towards self-sufficiency and financial security through job training, academic reinforcement, improved life skills, job placement and support services. For more information visit www.obtjobs.org
Job Developer – (Full-Time)
Responsibilities are working with disadvantaged youth and adults and include job placement and retention, maintaining a diverse job bank, conducting professional development workshops, resume writing, public speaking, mock interviews, employment counseling and pre and post-employment activities. Must have five years relevant experience and an active job bank. Prior experience working with disadvantaged population preferred. Offering highly competitive salary compared to industry standards.
How to apply: Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Terri Saucier at email@example.com
Youth Coordinator – (Full-Time)
Provide ongoing support and case management to 17-24 year olds in Young Adult Internship Program; handle all issues related to program eligibility and ensure participants understand and adhere to program philosophy, standards, rules and regulations; assist with outreach and recruitment for eligible program participants; maintain intern case files and accurately record case notes on a regular basis; enter data into the YAIP online Databases and YAIP outcomes management system in a timely fashion; conduct internship site visits to review intern evaluations with employers, discuss trainee progress, pick up timesheets and develop individual strategies for corrective action; facilitate Work Readiness and Educational Workshops; conduct weekly individual and/or group counseling sessions with each assigned intern to ensure each is adjusting to and complying with the program requirements and is progressing on internship sites; provide daily intervention on disciplinary issues and provide corrective action recommendations based upon program
Bachelor’s degree in social work, mental health, or a relevant field is required; computer literacy and proficiency in MS Office a must. Related experience preferred. Bilingual English/Spanish helpful. Must be willing to work as part of a team and be able to establish positive relationships with disconnected young adults.
Please send resume, cover letter, salary requirements to Linda Cabassa at firstname.lastname@example.org
Recruitment/Outreach Assistant – (Full-Time)
Responsibilities include providing recruitment and outreach support for all programs and activities including but not limited to: conducting presentations to the community, disseminating promotional materials, assisting the Coordinator for Outreach and Recruitment with efforts to improve visibility, generating viable leads from tabling and outreach events for registration into all OBT Programs and reaching out to organizations and providing information on upcoming registration opportunities; involves heavy travel and must be willing to work flexible hours. High School Diploma or equivalent required, Associates Degree preferred with minimally three years of professional work experience; bi-lingual required. Spanish strongly preferred; knowledge of Brooklyn and Queens required; experience with Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required; high degree of discretion with dealing with confidential information; high degree of integrity, professionalism and punctuality for all events; ability to multi-task for all OBT sites.
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Emily Hills at email@example.com.
Please put Outreach and Recruitment Specialist in the subject line.
Office Assistant – (Full-Time)
Work hours are 12:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. most days but must be flexible regarding work schedule and must be willing to travel between program sites. Responsibilities include being able to work effectively with adults in an educational setting; ability to pre-screen requests for program services; ability to obtain and submit required documentation and enter internal and external data in a timely and accurate manner; ability to organize and conduct intake and orientation sessions; must be able to maintain a high degree of discretion in dealing with confidential information; ability to work as part of a team; Bi-lingual English/Spanish required; proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and clerical work experience required. Associates Degree preferred.
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Georgia Trim at firstname.lastname@example.org
Quality Assurance/Data Reporting Manager – (Full-Time)
Leading workforce development agency with expertise working with both disconnected youth and adults, seeks a Quality Assurance/Data Reporting Manager to maintain and analyze data for multiple contracts/worksites in the agency’s Salesforce database. Responsibilities also include performing quality assurance duties and developing meaningful program reports and dashboards and training staff on use of database. Bachelor’s Degree required; must be interested in youth and workforce development; must have experience with data entry and data management; must possess strong organizational skills and display a high level of discretion in dealing with confidential information. Prior experience with Salesforce or database programming is required. Applicant should have experience creating validation rules, formula fields, and workflow rules. Experience with Demand Tools or another type of data loader is preferred. Experience with managing web forms is a plus. Highly competitive salary and benefits.
Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Alice Goncalves at email@example.com
Office Assistant (Full-Time)
Responsibilities will be working with disadvantaged youth and adults and will include answering phones, routing calls and taking messages; meeting and greeting the public and referring them to appropriate staff; pre-screening clients for services; assisting with pre-enrollment testing; entering data into agency and funder databases; incoming/outgoing mail, photocopying and faxes; participant time and attendance; supplies and inventory and other general office duties. Must have High School Diploma or equivalent and three years relevant experience; must possess excellent computer and communication skills; must be organized and detail-oriented and able to work in a fast paced environment. Must be Bi-lingual English/Spanish.
Please put Office Assistant in the subject line and send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Marcia Ramlal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Work Readiness Counselor – (Full-Time)
Provide ongoing work readiness support and case management to 17-24 year-olds in an Out of School Youth program; handle all issues related to work readiness and internships; maintain worksite and participant internship case files; enter detailed worksite and participant case notes in internal and funder databases; ensure that required work readiness training topics and assignments are completed; enter internship hours in funder database; provide employment counseling; actively participate in program recruitment and intake process; ensure participants understand and adhere to program philosophy, standards, rules and regulations.
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is required; computer proficiency in MS Office a must. Related experience preferred. Bilingual English-Spanish helpful. Must be willing to work as part of a team and be able to establish positive relationships with disconnected young adults. Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Jackie Ordoñez a email@example.com.
Communications Manager – (Full-Time)
Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) is a leading workforce training and education not-for-profit, serving youth and adults across NYC. OBT operates out of multiple locations, providing education, employment and training services, with the goal of developing self-sufficiency and providing access to quality employment. OBT is funded through a healthy mix of government contracts, corporate and foundation grants, and private contributions.
The Communications Manager plays an integral role in promoting OBT’s mission and brand on a local, state, and national level. The Communications Manager will develop a strategic communications plan for the organization, aligned with OBT’s vision for impact, lead its implementation, and assess its effectiveness.
Essential Job Functions:
Communications Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Develop and implement an organizational strategic communications plan that
- increases internal awareness and understanding of OBT’s strategic plan, vision for growth & impact, and inspires members of OBT’s staff to publicly champion the organization’s mission
- broadens and strengthens OBT’s brand identity across key stakeholders
- In collaboration with the Chief External Affairs Officer and CEO, create a public relations strategy that allows for OBT leadership to engage and cultivate important relationships with external audiences, including the media, public officials, and community partners
- In collaboration with the Senior Leadership Team, identify organizational and sector-based challenges, and develop responsive communications solutions
- Ensure that OBT maintains an online presence and social media strategy that keeps pace with the field and advances the organization’s mission and needs
- Develop capacity of Senior Leadership and Directors to communicate the organization’s mission and brand effectively.
- Oversee the continued development and use of the OBT brand
- Oversee, and execute as needed, the development of all printed and branded materials, including
- Development of electronic communications (website, social media, and electronic newsletters)
- Curate content and increase engagement on OBT’s social media channels
- Strategically prioritize media opportunities, including support in preparing talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed
- Lead the organization’s media interactions, with a focus on promoting OBT’s impact
- Cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage of relevant issues, OBT programming, and special events/projects.
- Serve as the internal lead on the OBT Gala, including as the liaison with the Board of Directors’ Development Committee;
- Continuously engage with external stakeholders to identify market trends and elevate innovative ideas to enhance OBT’s core programming for both youth and adults;
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years’ related work experience
- Experience in designing and/or executing communications strategies
- Strong written and oral communication skills, required
- Experience with WordPress and/or HTML, preferred
- Experience using content management systems and Google AdWords and Analytics
- Awareness and savvy regarding local economic and education issues; knowledge of workforce preferred
- Proven track record in working with reporters to secure press
- Willing to execute day-to-day tasks and work independently
- Desire to consistently connect portfolio of work to OBT’s mission
- Ability to prioritize and follow through effectively
- Familiarity with social media
- Bilingual (English/Spanish), preferred
- Willingness to travel across OBT sites and attend external events.
This position is salaried, commensurate with experience.
Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Janet Tsakos at firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated: March 2017